Nate Gatter is a senior at the University of Missouri pursuing a career in sports play-by-play broadcasting. In 2017, he was named Sportscasters Talent Agency of America's Jim Nantz Award winner as the nation's most outstanding collegiate sportscaster.
This summer, Nate served as the lead play-by-play broadcaster for the Gateway Grizzlies of the independent Frontier League, making him one of the youngest lead broadcasters in professional baseball. During the school year, he calls TV play-by-play for Missouri baseball, volleyball, women's soccer and softball on SEC Network Plus (WatchESPN). Additionally, Nate is calling his second season of radio play-by-play this fall for Lincoln University (NCAA Division II) football on 29,500-watt 88.9 FM KJLU. He also broadcasts Lincoln men's basketball in the winter.
Previously, Nate called games for the Wisconsin Woodchucks of the Northwoods League, one of the top summer collegiate baseball leagues in the country. He additionally served as the play-by-play broadcaster for the Orleans Firebirds of the Cape Cod Baseball League, another of the country's most prestigious amateur baseball leagues, in 2015; and has provided play-by-play for men's basketball for Westminster College (NCAA Division III) on the Blue Jays Sports Network and men's lacrosse for Missouri Baptist University (NAIA/MCLA Division II) on the Spartan Digital Network.
Outside of broadcasting, he served as a columnist and editor for the University of Missouri's student newspaper, The Maneater. One of Nate's sports columns received First Place among Division I papers from the Missouri College Media Association for the 2015-2016 school year, and another of his columns was named the 2016 Story of the Year in Opinion/Editorial by the Associated Collegiate Press. Nate's full resume is below, following his broadcast schedule.
Nate's Upcoming Broadcasts (all times Central):
- M. Basketball (D-II): Robert Morris-Springfield @ Lincoln — Dec. 2 — 3:30 p.m. — Jefferson City, Mo. — 88.9 KJLU
Gateway Grizzlies – Frontier League Sauget, Ill.
"Voice of the Grizzlies;" Media Relations Assistant Jan. 2017 - Present
- Serve as lead play-by-play broadcaster for the Grizzlies' 96-game schedule on the Grizzlies Media Network
- Produce game notes, write game recaps, maintain press box, handle broadcast equipment, produce and engineer broadcasts on-site during games, etc.
- Serve as primary talent for Grizzlies TV segments and appearances
- Act as travel secretary on the road: coordinate hotels, gyms and buses, handle rooming lists, etc.
- Call Braggin' Rights baseball (Missouri vs. Illinois) from GCS Ballpark on 550 AM - KTRS
SEC Network Plus (Mizzou Network) Columbia, Mo.
Play-by-Play Broadcaster Feb. 2017 - Present
- Provide play-by-play for Missouri baseball, softball, volleyball and women's soccer on SEC Network Plus (WatchESPN), produced by Mizzou Network
Lincoln University – NCAA Division II Jefferson City, Mo.
Play-by-Play Broadcaster, Football/Men's Basketball Aug. 2016 - Present
- Provide play-by-play for all home football games and select road games on 29,500-watt KJLU
- Provide play-by-play for men's basketball games
Wisconsin Woodchucks – Northwoods League Wausau, Wis.
Play-by-Play Broadcaster; Media Relations Assistant Nov. 2015 - Dec. 2016
- Provided play-by-play for all 72 'Chucks games on 10,000-watt FOX Sports Radio-Wausau (WRIG, 1390 AM/93.9 FM) with Sunday games tri-cast on 20,000-watt WSAU (550 AM)
- Managed, maintained and set up all broadcast equipment for home and road games
- Produced daily game program insert featuring team updates, as well as stories, stats and scores from around the league
- Wrote daily game recaps and weekly feature stories for Woodchucks and Northwoods League websites
- Assisted in managing, and providing content for, Woodchucks social media and website
Orleans Firebirds – Cape Cod Baseball League Orleans, Mass.
Play-by-Play Broadcaster Dec. 2014 - Oct. 2015
- Provided play-by-play for all 50 games during the 2015 Orleans Firebirds season on the Cape Cod Baseball Network
- Managed, maintained and set up broadcast equipment for home and road games
- Served as the sideline reporter for WCAI (NPR)’s live coverage of the 2015 Cape Cod Baseball League All-Star Game
- Provided select play-by-play for Fox College Sports’ live TV coverage of the Orleans Firebirds
Westminster College – NCAA Division III Fulton, Mo.
Play-by-Play Broadcaster, Men's Basketball Dec. 2015 - March 2016
- Provided play-by-play for men's basketball home games on Blue Jays Sports Network
Lewis & Clark Baseball League St. Louis, Mo.
Sports Information Director May 2014 - Present
Play-by-Play Broadcaster May 2014 - Dec. 2014
- Provided play-by-play for over 100 LCBL games, including every playoff game, during the 2014 season
- Managed various social media accounts, doubling the LCBL's Twitter following in six months
- Wrote, edited, and managed editorial content for the LCBL website
- Managed the assignments and production of approximately 20 LCBL interns
- Facilitated the application, interview, and hiring processes for the 2015 LCBL media interns
University of Missouri Columbia, Mo.
Expected Graduation December 2017
University of Missouri Honors College Inductee
Missouri School of Journalism Walter Williams Scholar
University of Missouri Show-Me Scholar
- Adobe Creative Suite, Audacity, UStream, Livestream, SoundCloud, Wix, Squarespace, Microsoft Office, etc.
- Website management and contribution with respect to statistics, print, editing and layout
- Social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) management for live-tweeting, promotions, PR, etc.
- Pointstreak scoring, statistics and website management
- AP Style editing